Tabs

Monday, April 20, 2009

Miss USA 2009

The Miss USA pageant aired last night and although I didn't watch it, I did hear about the Miss California controversy.

Here is a YouTube video of Perez Hilton's question and her answer.


A more appropriate answer for this question probably would have been, "Perez, this is a very controversial topic in today's society. I think the best thing about America is that each state has the right to chose what laws they have about same-sex marriages. I believe that we need to be tolerant of the states that pass same-sex marriage and we also need to respect the states that haven't voted it in."

Don't get me wrong, I am very proud that this young woman stated her feelings against gay marriage, but I think that as Miss USA, she needs to be a figure of unity.

Now, the reason I bring this up at all is that the media, Perez Hilton and every gay person out there is attacking Carrie Prejean (Miss California) for her belief system.

This is unwarranted and unjust. We say that we respect all opinions, yet when voiced they are attacked.

In recent elections, the majority California voters passed Proposition 8 which Eliminates the Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry. Somehow, this vote has been appealed and is now going through the court system. What I can't believe is that 7,001,084 of the most liberal state there is voted YES on Prop 8 and it is still being challenged as though all of the US citizens that voted yes are somehow incompetent at voting.

I'm getting discouraged with the fact that most people that are against same sex marriage are not against homosexuals and they are not homophobes. Each state has the right to vote in favor or against legalizing same sex marriage. If its for, then fine. If it's against, then fine. Majority rules in this Country...

Well, except in picking the President.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Amen sister! Everyone's opinions count unless you are conservative! :)